Sunday, July 18, 2010

BEACH HOUSE: TEEN DREAM

This year I have been so preoccupied digging back through time to find old gems, that I have yet to get my teeth into what 2010 has to offer. Deciding to change this, I began by perusing pitchfork's best new albums. In doing so I was pleasantly reminded that Beach House has a new album out, Teen Dream. Even better; pitchfork had given it a promising 9.0/10. 

Beach House's sophomore album, Devotion, was one of my favorite albums of 2008. I think I rated it about eight for the year. If I'm going on pure play-counts (which is probably more honest) it was probably only ousted from the top spot by Fleet Foxes, and m83.

As a result it was with great anticipation, yet also some trepidation that I played the album for the first time. I won't bore you with a whole lot of music jargon neither of us will understand - pitchfork does it better. All I will say is that it is a wonderful album. It builds on the same core elements that made Devotion great whilst trading somnolence for a renewed energy. Teen Dream is aptly named. The album has a dreamy quality, like all of Beach House's music, it seems to somehow wash over you (in a good way). This is an album that almost languidly sets itself apart from the mass of predictable synth-pop that seems to largely constitute indie rock at the moment. 

Buy it Read about it here: Beach House: Teen Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment